If you are looking into wisdom teeth removal, but aren’t sure of the details, here’s a great place to start. At El Dorado Hills Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry, we’re breaking it all down for you.
Wisdom teeth are actually our third set of molars. They usually show up later than the rest of our adult teeth, typically between the ages of 17 and 25. This is where the term “wisdom” gets associated with the teeth — “older and wiser!”
Why are Wisdom Teeth So Often Removed?
Wisdom teeth were a great help for our ancestors, but they’re a problem these days with our smaller jaws:
- Space Invaders: Our mouths often don’t have enough room to accommodate these new arrivals. This can lead to crowding or even impaction, where the teeth don’t fully emerge from the gums.
- The Trouble with Impaction: An impacted tooth can potentially lead to infection or even cysts. Plus, they’re harder to clean, which can lead to tooth decay.
- Alignment Concerns: Wisdom teeth can sometimes push our other teeth as they emerge from the gums, potentially throwing our alignment off and causing pain.
We promise the process is way less scary than it sounds:
- Evaluation: First, you’ll have an appointment with Dr. Jonah Tabrizi. He’ll walk you through the procedure, answer any questions, and make sure you’re feeling relaxed. He’ll also check for anything that might cause complications during the procedure.
- Preparation: When you go in for the extraction, Dr. Tabrizi will talk through what’s about to happen, prepare you for anything you need to know, and make sure you’re comfortable.
- Sweet Dreams: Thanks to modern anesthesia, you’ll comfortably snooze through the procedure or be in a relaxed state.
- Gentle Removal: Using the utmost care, Dr. Tabrizi ensures the extraction process is smooth, minimizing any swelling or discomfort post-surgery.
- Post-Op Care: Once done, we’ll provide you with all the info you need to make recovery swift and uneventful.
Wisdom Teeth Removal FAQ
How long is the recovery?
Generally, it’s quick! Most folks are back to their regular selves in a few days. Of course, each person is unique, so we’ll give you personalized guidelines.
Will it hurt?
While “surgery” might sound daunting, modern anesthesia and post-op pain management mean most patients experience minimal discomfort. Just keep up with our after-care instructions and it’ll be a breeze!
How do I avoid infection?
Following the after-care guidelines, like keeping the area clean and avoiding certain foods, will greatly reduce any risk of infection.
What about swelling?
A little swelling is normal, but we’ll equip you with tips and tricks to keep it at bay, like cold compresses and more.
Bonus Fun Fact
Want to hear an interesting fact about wisdom teeth? Not everyone has four! On rare occasions, people have found that they have 1, 2, 3, or even 5 wisdom teeth!
Need Your Wisdom Teeth Removed? Give Us a Call Now!
Whether you’re feeling a tooth barging into the back of your mouth or just want to be proactive, Dr. Jonah Tabrizi and the team are here to help. The journey to a comfortable, pain-free, wisdom tooth extraction is just a phone call away. Reach out at (916) 941-1515 and let us take care of you.
In the world of dental care, wisdom teeth extraction doesn’t need to be filled with anxiety. At El Dorado Hills Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry, we’re all about making it as fuss-free and comfortable as possible. Because, in the end, it’s all about you flaunting that radiant, pain-free smile!