We get it, the dentist’s chair isn’t everyone’s favorite spot. Some might feel a little jittery, while others might be downright terrified. That’s why we at El Dorado Hills Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry offer sedation dentistry, the newest tool on your journey to a radiant smile.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
In simple terms, sedation dentistry uses medication to help patients relax and stay comfortable during dental procedures. Whether it’s a cleaning or something more complex, Dr. Jonah Tabrizi ensures you can sail through it with the least amount of stress.
Reasons for Sedation Dentistry
Wondering if sedation dentistry is for you? It’s commonly used for patients who:
- Have dental anxiety or phobia.
- Requires a lot of dental work in one sitting.
- Have a hard time sitting still for extended periods.
- Possess a sensitive gag reflex.
- Have had traumatic dental experiences in the past.
Different options are available depending on what’s best for you! Here’s a quick look:
- Minimal Sedation: You’re awake and relaxed.
- Moderate Sedation: You might not remember much, but you’re still awake.
- Deep Sedation: You’re on the edge of consciousness but can still be awakened.
- General Anesthesia: You’re completely unconscious.
IV Sedation vs Oral Sedation
When you think of sedation, you might picture an IV drip, but there’s also the option of simply taking a pill. Let’s break down the differences:
- IV Sedation: Administered through a vein, so it goes to work quickly. Dr. Tabrizi has precise control over the level of sedation.
- Oral Sedation: This involves taking a pill, usually an hour before the procedure. It’s perfect for those with a fear of needles.
- Nitrous Oxide: Commonly known as laughing gas, it works quickly to relax patients and reduce pain during procedures.
Sedation Dentistry FAQ
- Can anyone have sedation dentistry? Most patients will be good candidates, but Dr. Tabrizi and his team will double-check that it’s the best fit for you. We’ll review anything that might impact your safety and comfort beforehand.
- Is sedation dentistry safe? Absolutely! Dr. Tabrizi and our team are well-trained to administer sedation safely and monitor you throughout the procedure.
- Will I feel any pain? Most patients feel no discomfort during their dental procedure and remember little-to-nothing about it.
- How long will it take to recover? It depends on the type of sedation. For instance, with oral sedation, you might feel groggy for a few hours.
- Can children be sedated for their dentist visits? We will always check the individual patient to make sure they’re safe for sedation. Variables like age, medical history, and more will be considered.
- Can I drive after my sedation appointment? If you have a dentist visit with sedation, it will be unsafe for you to drive. It will take a while for the sedative to wear off, so you’ll want a buddy to drive you to and from your appointment.
Pricing and Insurance
While sedation dentistry might seem like a luxury, think about the benefits: it can transform a traumatic experience into a tranquil one, making sure you don’t avoid essential dental care because of fear. Many insurance plans contribute to the cost of sedation, and our team is always here to guide you through your financial and insurance options. When you weigh the costs against the peace of mind and comfort it offers, it’s worth it.
Call to Schedule an Appointment Today
Feeling intrigued? If sedation dentistry sounds like a game-changer for your dental visits, give us a call at (916) 941-1515. Dr. Jonah Tabrizi and the team at El Dorado Hills Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry are here to ensure your comfort every step of the way. We’re redefining dental visits, one relaxed patient at a time. Can’t wait to chat with you soon!