If you’ve been hearing terms like “TMJ” or “TMD” and are wondering what all the fuss is about, you’re in the right place. Let’s dive in and explore how Dr. Jonah Tabrizi and the team at El Dorado Hills Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry can offer relief from those pops and pains in your jaw.
What is TMJ/TMD?
First, it’s important to recognize the difference: TMJ stands for Temporomandibular Joint — it’s that handy joint that connects your jawbone to your skull. TMD stands for Temporomandibular Disorder, a pesky condition that arises when there’s a problem with this joint or the muscles around it. It often causes issues with chewing and talking.
TMD can feel like it’s come out of the blue, but there are some common culprits:
- Grinding or Clenching Your Teeth: This adds stress to the TMJ and even risks damage to the teeth themselves.
- Arthritis: Even your jaw joint isn’t safe from this inflammatory condition.
- Trauma: Accidents or blows to the face can throw the TMJ off balance.
Symptoms of TMD
Apart from an ache in the jaw, TMD can toss a few curveballs. It might manifest as:
- Ear pain without an infection.
- Difficulty in opening or closing your mouth.
- A clicking or popping sound when you chew.
Put simply, you’ll often notice when you have TMD symptoms. Don’t ignore them! Come into our practice and we’ll bring you relief.
Connections to Sleep Apnea
TMD and sleep apnea are often intertwined. People with sleep apnea may find themselves grinding their teeth at night, leading to TMD. On the flip side, those with TMD might experience sleep disruptions due to the discomfort, or from the jaw sliding around and blocking the airway. Dr. Tabrizi is here to help break that cycle.
Common Sleep Apnea Signs
Do you suspect your TMD might be causing sleep apnea? Or perhaps the other way around? Common symptoms of sleep apnea are:
- Loud snoring
- Periodically not breathing during sleep (often noticed by someone else)
- Mood swings
- Choking or gasping for air when sleeping
- Excessive daytime sleepiness
- Morning headaches
- Waking up through the night
If you think you have sleep apnea or TMD, come to our office and we can help you on your journey to better sleep and a happier jaw!
You’ll be pleased to know there’s a selection of treatments for TMD, customized to fit your needs:
- Oral Appliances: Similar to mouthguards, they keep grinding at bay and can encourage your jaw to relax.
- Physical Therapy: Gentle exercises can ease muscle tension and strengthen the jaw.
- Lifestyle Changes: Sometimes, all it takes is a tweak in habits, like avoiding chewing gum or being mindful of your posture.
Whether it’s one of these or a combination, rest assured Dr. Tabrizi and the team will guide you every step of the way.
Pricing and Insurance
Money matters, we get it. TMD treatment might sound pricey, but:
- Variety in Cost: Depending on your chosen treatment, the price can range from affordable to more premium options.
- Insurance Insights: While every insurance policy is unique, we’ll sit with you, decode the jargon, and ensure you maximize any available benefits.
- Payment Plans: If insurance isn’t covering it or if you’re looking for more manageable payments, let’s chat about flexible financing.
Call Us Today to Schedule an Appointment
Are you ready to say goodbye to jaw pain and hello to a life of ease and comfort? Call us at (916) 941-1515 and our friendly team will set you up with our talented Dr. Jonah Tabrizi. Whether you’re ready for relief or just want answers about your jaw, he’s got your back.
Navigating TMD doesn’t have to be a solo journey. At El Dorado Hills Cosmetic & Implant Dentistry, we’re by your side, making sure every twist and turn leads to a pain-free future!